The happy ramblings of a sharp-witted canine scamp.

Friday, October 20, 2006


Banba's Ode to Summer
(With apologies to all poets, published and un)


The sun glows bright but far away
Now does start our summer day
Lick my Momma--break of dawn
Wake up! Wake up! Let's start the morn'!

Squishy sand beneath my paws
Salty spray billows like gauze
Friends to be made way down the beach
But with this leash, they're out of reach
Momma lets go, and I am free
I run and sniff but skirt the sea
The waves crash loud and the water's ice
Chasing new friends, I pay the price

No Bath! No Bath! Don't wash my face!
It stings my eyes and feels like mace
Dry at last, nap on the porch
Sand at Noon, my paws would scorch
Evening comes and the sky glows red
We walk and feast, then go to bed

Soon dawn cracks through my sleepy eyes
But the sun is late, my how time flies
It's cold! It's cold! We must walk fast
Oh why won't summertime just last?
Few friends wait now o'er the dune
Our time to leave will come too soon
Back to the city and sidewalks and park
But now by afternoon it's dark
Quick! Inside! It's cold out here
Farewell sweet summer--until next year!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"No bath! No bath! Don't wash my face!" Oh, how those words strike a chord with me! Banba, I wish I could come run on the beach with you. I would hide the sand between my toes and deposit it on my Mom's pillow. But, there is no sand here in Cincinnati. Sigh! Guess it will have to be leaves and salamanders instead!

2:12 PM

 
Blogger Buster the Wired Fox Terror said...

Oh I do enjoy a good bit of verse....

I have endless summer here in the disheveled state of the Floribbean.

Bussie Kissies
Buster

4:04 PM

 
Blogger Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

Just lovin' your poetry. You are so clever. I realise after reading yours how poor my "little rhymes" are.

I have a great deal to learn, and so I think, does my editor!!

Love your Blog and your pics.

From the Learning Rhyming Scotsman Dog Marvin ;0) (ps I have not been well so that is my excuse for the poor poetry on my Blog) xxxxx

10:18 AM

 
Blogger Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

Just love your poem you sent me, all about me, Marvin, you are sooooo sweet. Love Licks and lots of nice Scottish things, och aye the noo, love and Halloween Howls, Marvin ;0)

4:15 AM

 
Blogger Jay said...

Wow, another poet doggie.. just like Marvin :)

Nice poem you wrote!

~Jay

12:36 AM

 
Blogger fee said...

sweet! o, i just love a good poem! you are such a talented poet, banba! i almost went into a trance reading your ode to summer; for a moment, i thought i was YOU! your poem is very engaging!

give us more!

loves,
fee

11:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home